image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image5

GARCHU! I'M DEKYA|WRITER, GEEK|FANGIRL, FLIP|WELCOME TO STRANGE WATERS|WHERE I WRITE SENSELESS THINGS

Writing Blind

Why look who it is who missed #WriterWednesday and her regular Wednesday post?

Today, I'm writing blind. Sort of literally. See those red squiggly lines on the picture below? Well those are typos because, as you can see, I'm writing blind. In almost a literal sense. BLIND.




Let's start with yesterday. I was suffering from womanly syndrome -- all weepy and back-slash-hip-achy and all hormonal (stupid rag!). I also found a good parking spot where I wouldn't have to wake up too early in the morning to move my car for street cleaning (These red squiggly lines are driving me insane). So I overslept. The night before that, I figured  if I had a good parking spot and I didn't have to wake up early, then I can drink some wine and write all night. 

But that was a bust. I sure don't have any sense of self-discipline. In fact, I think I'm so rebellious, I defy even orders I've set for my futures self. Past Dek is not amused.

But I digress.

On the way to work today, I had locked my keys in the my room -- car, house, and of course, the keys to my locked room. So I was forced to go to work by bus and train. That takes about one hour from my place (takes only 15 minutes to drive, though). Bored and discomposed -- I ended up googling stuff on my phone on the way to work. What I thought of googling was 'HOW TO WRITE FASTER." I have read it somewhere, a few days ago, how the best possible way to train yourself to write faster is by writing -- you've guessed it -- blind. 

Ok ... I might be stretching it.  What I've really read is write like you don't care about grammar, spelling, or any of the grammar-nazi shit.Which for someone who has a slight case of OCD can be a huge hurdle. 

I mean, I know I can write without being overly meticulous about grammar -- considering that I am #GRAMMARDEAF. However, I do nitpick about punctuation and spelling. Those are the only things I think I've got going  in terms of writing, so writing without even caring for them makes me feel so fraking obtuse. Truth be told, I suck at spelling too. Without the red squiggly lines, I wouldn't even know what I've spelled wrong. I was already in the 7th grade when I learned how to spell Wednesday. And up to this day, I spell Neil Gaiman's name with an "N" in between Gai and man. Don't ask why. My fingers seem to believe that that's the right way.

But how do I put every thought down on (allegorical) paper, if I can't even get over this OCD hurdle? How can I speed up my writing movement if I keep on going back to every sentence and every word that I deem incorrect?

Unlike the previous article I've read (and couldn't find anymore), Michael Pollock's 12 TIPS ON HOW TO BECOME A FASTER WRITER states that the best way to do this is to turn off your Censor -- your inherent shackles that keep you from jumping off from that cliff called humiliation. One of his quick tips is to write with your monitor turned off. 

But that would a bit troublesome (although it'll be quite effective for the ADHD in me, as well). Writing with the monitor turned off means you're not even sure if you're writing on the right app or program. How could you be so sure that you're even writing at all if your monitor's all turned off and black. You'd think staring at a blank white screen is quite formidable. Writing with a black screen is not only impractical ... it's disastrous to vain people like me - because black screen reflects my face, and adoring my beautiful face is something I get off on. 

So I pondered about it during that one hour bus/train ride and thought, maybe I could do it by turning the fonts white. Then I could trick my Censor into thinking I'm writing blind, but at least I know I'm still writing on the right space. It'll also train me to face one of my greatest adversary -- The Great White Space. 

And I think it really works. Seeing as I'm already at 696 (right up to the "at" word before 696).  So I'm done with my word quota for the day. And I have more words to say, even though I really have to wrap this thing up. 

Let's see what happens in the next few days. If I can get a short story out there by the end of the week, then you'd know this works. And maybe it'd work for you too.

Let's all hope for the best.

788 words. No time frame.
I was writing this up in between tasks.

Share this: