image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image5

GARCHU! I'M DEKYA|WRITER, GEEK|FANGIRL, FLIP|WELCOME TO STRANGE WATERS|WHERE I WRITE SENSELESS THINGS

Le Pogi Pose

Sandara Park is soooo Filipino LOL
If the Japanese have popularize the victory or peace sign as a staple in daily life photographic poses, we Filipinos have our “Pogi Pose.”

Well, Pogi Pose is not as popular as the “V” sign. Non-Filipinos use it occasionally, but they really don’t have a term for it. Outside the country, it practically doesn’t exist. So if you’re a writer writing for a general audience, how do you describe it?

I’m writing about a child having a conversation with an older man. He says to the older man in an adorkable manner, he’s just a “good looking child.” In the Philippines, this is almost always followed by the Pogi Pose. Not doing so would be a betrayal to the culture. If I betray the culture, my existence in this world would be disputed. Not because I’m Filipino, but because my mission in this world is to make the world see the culture beyond the poverty, the prostitution, and the catastrophes that seem to be the only thing that shows up in exported movies and literature.

Thus, I believe my audience/readers aren’t really [all] Filipinos. If they were, putting “ he struck a pogi pose,” would suffice.

So how do you describe it?

“Puts fingers under his chin,” is vague; or it makes it look like the kid is Italian and is being rude to the old man. Flicking the fingers under the chin — or “Chin flick” is Italian’s way of saying “Forget you!” The context of either version of the Cee Lo Green song would work. However, in the Filipino culture, children being rude to older people will get a slap across the face or at least a hit on the head.

The chin flick -- see what I mean?
I almost wrote “His fingers shaped like a V sign under his chin,” which made it look like the child wanted to give the old man a cunnilingus. This is somewhat disturbing in a different way than what I intend my piece to be. Also does not make sense in the context of what’s happening. Although, a finger L-sign at +/- 45 degree angle do make a V — it doesn’t accurately represent a V.

My waifu Anna Tsuchiya is very fond of doing this thing. This showcases strong European influences in Japanese culture.
Palm facing the face, fingers as a V is the Yonic equivalent of the middle finger. Very much like the middle finger, it is meant to insult. It means the receiver is a f*cking p*ssy and would collapse from the licking they would get (my interpretation). Doesn’t matter if the receiver is a woman or a man. Either way, they’re a f*cking p*ssy. To the general Filipinos, it doesn’t mean sh*t. Because nobody uses it in the country. Even Australians, New Zealanders, British, or Irish don’t use it in the Philippines. I know because I used to hang out an Irish pub in Makati City. Never seen one of them EVER use the damn insult.
Please don't use this to lesbian deaf/mute people. It is offensive

In sign language, the pogi pose means “Lesbian.” However, this is the outdated version and is somewhat derogatory (I’ve read). Currently they have moved the L a little lower with only the tip of the forefinger touching the chin.  I don’t want to mix this up with the pogi pose and insult a lesbian deaf reader. There’s also the fact that both characters are male and the story has no element of the LGBT at all.

A great ASL tutorial for LGBTQ or people who love them.

So how would a writer describe the pogi pose?

I ended up with this: "With his fingers forming an L-shape right under his chin -- the KID strikes a "pogi pose," immediately followed by a wink.

Is it too wordy? Is it too complicated? Is it confusing? Does it sound right? Does it convey what I want the non-Filipino readers/audience to see? Does it cater to Filipinos at the same time? Do you have any other suggestions?

m(_ _)m

Share this: