image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image5

GARCHU! I'M DEKYA|WRITER, GEEK|FANGIRL, FLIP|WELCOME TO STRANGE WATERS|WHERE I WRITE SENSELESS THINGS

Arashi Blast In Hawaii -- Part 2 -- Line Drive

LINING UP



Jannie and I waiting at the line.




It was a combination of excitement, panic, and jet lag that lead to severe lack of sleep on my second day in Hawaii. My body was already used to waking up on California time zone, three hours ahead of Hawaii. I also have a problem waking up to my alarm clocks — I sleep right through it. Worried that I will sleep through my alarm clock again, I kept on waking up every hour to check the time. On point. Never underestimate the power of adrenaline rush. At 6:30am, I was fully awake on my feet doing my morning routines. So was Jannie. Bath, toilet, teeth — all done. All made up and ready to go by 7am. We were supposed to eat breakfast buffet in the hotel for only $6.50, but when we got there the whole place was jam packed with—what looks like—a whole town of Japanese tourists. We decided that IHop at the corner of the street would be much more convenient. We paid more than $6.50, but we had more than enough to take to the concert with us. Our IHop leftovers became our lunch. It’s interesting to note that every Asian occupying the tables at IHop were going to the concert. Among these Asians, we were probably the only non-Japanese. A Caucasian couple sitting next to us asked us if we were going to the concert. Since we’ve been speaking in mixed Tagalog and English all throughout breakfast, with random interjections of Japanese words—all eyes fixated on us when we answered the couple’s question. I swayed my hips to give my skirt a little flirty flip, and told everyone to “Enjoy the concert!” I don’t know why I even did that. I blame concert fever. And yes, I was wearing a skirt. Because: Nino.


IHop breakfast. You can see people in Arashi's Hawaiian shirt.



We arrived at Ko Olina a little past 9am. The drive was a lot smoother in the morning, very little motorist and practically no traffic. Got really good parking spot for $10 for the whole day. We left our food in the car and just brought water with us. Concert merch store were already open, but the drink booths weren’t. When we got to the line, that’s when we figured we forgot to bring towels and mats and chairs. Essential things when you’re trying to line up early for a concert. I should start a fangirl kit. Seriously, someone needs to do a DIY video of that.




9:30 a.m. concert line
There were already nearly 100 people at the Ticketmaster line when we got there. Maybe I’m exaggerating, but it was definitely more than 30 people. I remember Jannie saying on the road, ¨If there’s more than 30 people in line, I’d throw a fit.¨ She didn’t, but she looked like she would. We learned later there were people who actually lined up since the night before, right after the first day concert. I had insisted that we should be there by 6:30 a.m. because that’s the magic hour Kpop fangirls have taught me for lining up at concerts. We compromised with waking up at 6:30 am instead. Our spot on the line wasn't all that bad. Because we were farther down the street, we were right by the stages. And when Arashi came to rehearse at 11am, we were there screaming, jumping, and a lot more screaming. We started the concert early.



They sang 4 songs, tried the moving stages, and fine-tuned their cues. All the while Nino sat on the steps. Back pains and the heat were getting to him. I want to say, “Poor baby,” but let’s face it. He’s called “The Brat” for a reason. After their very short rehearsal, the guys left their fans wanting for more. Along with other fangirls, we’d enjoy a couple more hours of peace. Every now and then, a big African-descent local concert staff would shout ¨ARASHI!¨ Obviously, he was waiting for an enthusiastic response from the fangirls. Instead, he got some sporadic and mostly lethargic ¨Arashi¨ from the line. A lot were more confused by his sudden outburst. It got old very quickly. At 12pm, Jannie and I went back to the car, had our IHop left-over lunch, came back and relieved our two girls from holding the line for us.


The stages, right beside our spot in the line. 


Arashi was brought in by helicopter, even for rehearsals.


Our two girls! There were these two young girls who came at exactly the same time as we did. They got the spot right in front of us. We watched them lay down their picnic blanket, open their umbrella, and lay out things for the concert. They had their food ready, their drinks, and things to do while waiting in line. One of them was sewing Arashi on a banda. I was impressed. Now, that’s what you call good fan-girl-scouts! (Oooohhh, there’s an idea for a web show.) They became our partners. They held the line for us when we had to step out. And we held the line for them when they needed to stretch out. They helped me organize my Ohno-uchiwa (because when I started tearing the characters off, I forgot how they were supposed to line up). We bonded with these girls. I’ll never forget them. What were their names again? Hahaha. Kidding. One’s Kame and the other is Sho. I’m naming them after their biases (I’m mixing up my Kpop and Jpop lingo).

Our girls: E & K!


Oh-Em-Gee! There’s a KAT-TUN fan ahead of us. IKR?! (LOL) Lucky her, Kame attended the concert(s). Unlucky for her, she never saw him when he was going around Hawaii (or did you, E?).

Behind us were really awesome looking Japanese girls. They’re hot. And not because of the weather. They’re like model-hot. I’m serious. I have never felt more insanely insecure of my belly. How could Nino fall in love with me when these people stood beside me? (*facepalm*) Behind these hot girls were a married couple—one Japanese, one Caucasian. They had brought their own folding lawn chairs. You know, those kinds you bring to Black Friday line up and/or tailgate parties. I barely saw the husband, but the Japanese lady was there lounging all day, reading a book. Behind the couple were a Japanese family with three generations represented. The little girl (around 9-11) with them even had the Arashi tattoo on her arms. So cute! Inspired me to totes drag my (non-existent) daughter to Arashi concerts. In front of our two girls, were a group of Chinese fans in uniform shirts. We spent most of the afternoon talking to these people. I’m a little standoffish, so Jannie was the one who did the most talking.

My Ohno uchiwa.
By 12:30pm, line has grown from 2 layers to 4 layers. People have started coming in droves. We had to fight our way back from the car through the flood of people. Charter buses have arrived. I quickly met up with STORMYs Rosevic. We found out we were both in line through our tweets. I knew there were STORMY members in line. Sightings of the ¨Maou Mode¨ shirt were a dead give away. We hugged, we took pictures, and went back to our own spots. This was the first time we’ve met offline. I’m seriously amazed at how trusting and open I am to Arashi fangirls. Am I getting better with my social anxiety disorder?

For one day, I was Flash. Not because I was running extremely fast. It was just, suddenly earth was very very slow. The hours passed by excruciatingly slow. We wanted to get in. We wanted to see the boys. We were antsy. 15,000 of us. And it was just 12:30pm.

Line was starting to build up. Actually this was during rehearsals.


Exactly at 12:30 p.m.


つづく

Arashi / Dangan Liner (Line Drive)


Share this: