image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image5

GARCHU! I'M DEKYA|WRITER, GEEK|FANGIRL, FLIP|WELCOME TO STRANGE WATERS|WHERE I WRITE SENSELESS THINGS

Jodorowsky's Dune, My Beacon of Hope


I want to liberate my imagination and my mind with every kind of movie. That is what I wanted to do all my life.


I'm a huge Frank Herbert fan. The Dune saga is my bible. His words are the gospels I concede to*. So when I heard that there was a movie adaptation that preceded David Lynch's version in history, of course my curiousity would be piqued. My excitement was aroused. I wanted to see that movie so desperately. I didn't care if it were any good, or as aweful as David Lynch's. Anything Dune, I'm down loving.

But all I would get is a documentary of what could have been the most game changing movie of all time. My heart broke. There's one Dune adaptation I will never see. Still I waited. And eventually, forgotten.

Then, one day, the fates poked me on Facebook. They were all, ¨Hey girl, there's the movie y'all wanted to see. Aintcha gonna go see it?¨ Peer pressured, I almost ran to Oakland to see the movie after work. Circumstnces weren't favorable. Desperation reminded me, I have a friend called Google.

I was cool going alone, but I thought I should share this gold nugget to somebody. BFF wasn't available, Banana was. So last June 5, I went to the Castro Theatre to see Jodorowsky's Dune.

Now, I've vowed against doing anymore reviews -- movies or otherwise. I've never mentioned it anywhere before, hence, I am only now publicly declaring it. No, I shan't write anymore reviews. Instead, I shall write what I took home after the experience and how I believe it would earn me points to level-up in my game.

Here's how I see it -- Jodorowsky is Emperor Leto Atreides III. He had a vision, it took years to fulfill (centuries for the good old god emperor). He didn't let the Bene Gesserit (technical Hollywood drones) defile it. He didn't let any Harkonnen (greedy Hollywood producers) pervert it. He didn't let the Spacing Guild (Studios) undermine him. And even if in the end Arrakis (his movie) was annihilated, his legacy lived on.

And although he turned his back from the silver screen, he continued to create for the better part of the thirty years that passed after the movie was shut down. He went on writing. He went on telling stories. He went on letting his prescience take him to the future, to the past, and the present. His crew went on telling their stories until their waters were reclaimed. Nothing was wasted.

For that, I wholeheartedly pay my respect. And because of that, my motivation was rekindled.

Putting it simply, the thing I took home from Jodorowsky -- F*ck it. Imma write what I wanna write. No more over thinking.

If you're still reading to this point, I suggest getting the DVD (coming out in July) and watching it. This charming bastard is all worth it. Even Banana was impressed. He's quickly becoming the new love of my life, second oldest after Cesare Borgia.

Time maybe against you when you're walking too far ahead of it. But, it is never too late or too early to create. 30 years after, he made a new movie. And the visuals alone is pretty effing awesome.





_________________________
* Just to be clear -- I'm not worshiping Frank Herbert. I don't think he's the messiah, nor a prophet.





Share this: